- About SFDS
- Parents & Students
- Wisconsin Parental Choice Program (WPCP)
- Parent Student Handbook
- Teacher Websites
- School Supplies
- Curriculum Guides for Parents
- Standard Based Grading
- Weekly Newsletter
- MAP Testing
- Report Card Examples
- Before & After Child Care
- School Advisory
- Home & School
- Option C
- Spirit Wear
- Athletics & Activities
- News & Events
The St. Francis de Sales Parish School Student Athletic Program is offered by the school to help in the total development of the child. The athletic program is an important aspect in the schooling of the child, yet it is also a privilege. The student athletes represent our school in the community. Therefore, we need to have responsible, Christian athletes participating. Interscholastic athletes can be a value as a supportive element to the total education process. The process concerns the total person, the person’s growth as an individual – spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically, and socially. Such activities play an important but secondary role in the education of our children and youth. These activities hopefully utilize and develop further the skills being taught in the classrooms. In addition, the development of physical skills exceeds those which can be learned in the classroom. Therefore while extracurricular activities play a very significant role, they cannot be a substitute for primary skills.
Athletics should provide:
- A learning experience.
- A positive base for Christian development
- An understanding of competition, emphasizing sportsmanship and teamwork.
- An opportunity for all participants to develop and share knowledge and skills appropriate to their level.
- The interscholastic athletic program should be looked upon as the pinnacle and not the foundation of a school’s physical education endeavors. A school should provide, first a program of physical education for all children, second an intramural sports program for all who desire some participation in competitive sports, and finally an athletic program of competition in the skill sports.
Boys and girls in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade are eligible to participate in athletics at SFDS. (In an event of shortage of players, 5th graders may be allowed to participate.) Squads are determined by the number of participants on an annual basis. Athletics offered are Girls’ Volleyball, Girls’ Basketball and Boys’ Basketball. Cheerleading is also offered on an interscholastic basis for students in 5th through 8th grades. Flag Football, Softball, and Track and Field/Cross Country are also offered to a limited extent as an extension of the physical education classes.
A student-athlete may participate with a non-archdiocesan team in the same sport during the season provided that the student’s priority and commitment is with the parish/school team, and the student maintains the eligibility requirements established by the school administration and published locally.
Any student is eligible to participate in athletics if he/she has met the following requirements:
- Is within the age/grade level.
- Agrees to abide by the rules of the coaches and the league.
- Returns the necessary completed forms signed by the parent/guardian and the physical prior to the first day of practice.
- Pays all fees and or deposits for uniforms/equipment.
- Meets the Extra-Curricular Activity Eligibility requirements.